Cash on Delivery (COD) is a payment gateway method used on various eCommerce websites. It is sometimes also called collect on delivery method used for the sale of goods online but here the payment is made on delivery rather than in advance.
WooCommerce – excelling eCommerce is popular plugin used for creating eCommerce websites over WordPress. In this lesson we will be showing you how you can easily enable ‘Cash on Delivery’ payment gateway method in your WooCommerce website.
Cash on Delivery method increases sales from your web store because the customer does not need to own a credit card or debit card in order to purchase your goods. Also impulse purchases may increase as payment is not due at the time of ordering.
It also has several disadvantages where the principal disadvantage for retailers is that many times orders are returned as buyers are less committed to their purchase than if they had paid in advance.
For enabling Cash on Delivery method
The gateway comes packed in WooCommerce core and hence there is no need of installing any new addon plugin.
Start by logging in to your WordPress site and then follow the steps:
- Navigate to WooCommerce settings page
- Select ‘Checkout’ tab
- Select ‘Cash on Delivery’ sub tab
- Tick ‘Enable Cash on Delivery’ check box option
- Save changes and you are done.
COD page also provides you various other custom settings:
- Title – Shown on the checkout for COD method.
- Description – Customers will see this payment method description on your website.
- Instructions – You can display certain instructions to your customers when they choose COD payment method.
- Enable for shipping methods (WC 2.0+) – Allows you to choose shipping methods to be used for enabling ‘Cash on Delivery’.