There are many popular websites on internet like Mashable, Facebook etc that provides their users AJAX powered infinite scrolling on home and other archive pages. Infinite scroll automatically appends the next page containing posts (via AJAX) to the page you are viewing as soon as the user scrolls the bottom of the page. Most WordPress users uses Jetpack by WordPress.Com plugin to enable this feature in their website. This tutorial is for the site owners who are not using Jetpack, there is no need of installing Jetpack only for activating infinite scroll module in your WordPress site. You can easily do so with a plugin called Infinite Scroll.
Installation & Usage: Install and activate Infinite Scroll plugin in your WordPress site. The plugin pre-fetches the content present in the next page and instantly add it to the page you are viewing as soon you scroll down to the bottom of the page and hence there is no need of clicking ‘next page’ or page navigation numbers etc.
After you activate the plugin visit your admin area Dashboard -> Settings -> Infinite Scroll and set the options as per your requirement.
- Works out-of-the-box for many popular WordPress themes — just activate the plugin and scroll
- Fully customizable to adapt to your site and theme
- Requires no (hopefully) template hacking, only a knowledge of CSS selectors.
- Relies on shared database of common themes to simplify installation process
- Maintain local database of theme presets for all installed themes (shared across network on multisite installs)
- Countless API endpoints to modify the behavior.
For more information about this plugin refer to infinite-scroll.com