Now Jetpack by WordPress.com plugin provides you a new custom post type module called ‘Portfolio Projects’. The module is automatically enabled after Jetpack is updated. It allows you to use a unique portfolio content type so that you can organize your portfolio projects from a special section of your admin area dashboard.
After the plugin is updated, visit your admin area dashboard Jetpack -> Settings page , scroll down to ‘Custom Post Type‘ section and make sure it is enabled.
Next step is to visit your admin area dashboard Settings -> Writing page and scroll down to ‘Your Custom Content Types‘ section to enable ‘Portfolio Projects‘ and set the maximum number of projects to be displayed per page.
How To Add And Manage Portfolio Projects?
It works the same way you create new WordPress posts. WordPress posts are classified by tags & category taxonomies whereas Portfolio Projects has same but different name taxonomies i.e. Project Types, which is hierarchical, just like post Categories) and Project Tags which is similar to post Tags.
New portfolio projects can easily be added from your admin area dashboard Portfolio -> Add New screen
And all created projects are managed from Portfolio -> All Projects page.
How To Enable Your Visitors To View Portfolio Projects In Your Website?
It works just like other custom post types. You can use the following links in your menu bar etc for allowing your visitors to easily access your projects:
- Portfolio Archive – http://yourdomain.com/portfolio/
- Single Project Page – http://yourdomain.com/portfolio/project-slug/
- Project Type Archive – http://yourdomain.com/project-type/project-type-slug/
- Project Tag Archive – http://yourdomain.com/project-tag/project-tag-slug/
For Embedding Portfolio Projects:
You can use add the
[portfolio] shortcode to a post or page.
There are various custom shortcode parameters you can use for adding custom values:
- ‘display_types’: display Project Types. (true/false)
- ‘display_tags’: display Project Tags. (true/false)
- ‘display_content’: display project content. (true/false)
- ‘include_type’: display specific Project Types. Defaults to all. (comma-separated list of Project Type slugs)
- ‘include_tag’: display specific Project Tags. Defaults to all. (comma-separated list of Project Tag slugs)
- ‘columns’: number of columns in shortcode. Defaults to 2. (number, 1-6)
- ‘showposts’: number of projects to display. Defaults to all. (number)
For Example: [portfolio display_type=true display_tags=false include_type=ui-design,app-design columns=3 showposts=10]