BuddyPress already provides you a private messaging system but the plugin is intended for creating social networking websites. Ever wanted to use a good private messaging system for the authors, editors and other users on a WordPress multiauthor website.
In this lesson you will learn about adding a private messaging system on WordPress sites and blogs.
Front End PM is a WordPress plugin that provides you a fullly functional private messaging system on frontend of your website.
Start by installing ‘Front End PM’ plugin in WordPress
Upon activation, visit your admin area dashboard Front End PM -> Instructions page and set your options.
Now visit your admin area dashboard Pages -> Add New, create a new page and page the shortcode: [front-end-pm] for front end private messaging under the HTML (Text) tab of your editor.
The plugin provides you tons of useful features:
- Works through a Page rather than the dashboard. This is very helpful if you want to keep your users out of the Dashboard area!
- Users can privately message one another
- Threaded messages
- BBCode in messages
- Ability to embed things into messages like YouTube, Photobucket, Flickr, WordPress TV, more.
- Admins can create a page for “Front End PM” by one click (see Installation for more details).
- Admins can send a public announcement for all users to see
- Admins can set the max amount of messages a user can keep in his/her box. This is helpful for keeping Database sizes down.
- Admins can set how many messages to show per page in the message box.
- Admins can set how many user to show per page in front end directory.
- Admins can set will email be sent to all users when a new announcement is published or not.
- Admins can set “to” field of announcement email.
- Admins can set Directory will be shown to all or not.
- Admins can block any user to send private message.
- Admins can set time delay between two messages send by a user.
- Admins can see all other’s private message.
- Admins can block all users to send new message but they can send reply of their messages.
- Admins can hide autosuggestion for users.
- There are three types of sidebar widget.
- Users can select whether or not they want to receive messages
- Users can select whether or not they want to be notified by email when they receive a new message.
- Users can select whether or not they want to be notified by email when a new announcement is published.