There are many nice working plugins available in WordPress plugin repository but you cannot use them all. Here in this article I am not discussing about the plugins that integrates social login , makes better SEO for comments or lets you join comment communities etc. Here are the plugin that fulfills basic needs of most WordPress bloggers for managing comments like limiting comment length, disabling comment on pages and certain post types, give comment ratings etc.
1. Disable Comments – This plugin allows site admins to globally disallow comments but it allows you to display comments according to post type. If you like to disable comment only on pages coz comments on individual pages gives an odd look to your site, try No Page Comment plugin
2. Subscribe to Comments – You can allow your blog commenters to subscribe to e-mail notifications for subsequent comments. It also includes a fully featured subscription manager using it your commenters can unsubscribe to certain posts, they can easily block all notifications, or change their e-mail address for notification.
3. Reverse Order Comments – Looking for a plugin to display latest comment on the top ! This plugin is for you. It gives a reverse order by displaying latest comment first and oldest at last. Now no need to scroll down and down for participating in long discussions.
4. Comment Rating Filed Plugin – Adding a 5 star rating field at the end your WordPress site comments that allows commentors to submit (optional) a rating with their comment. You can also try Comment Rating Widget, it displays ratings with most recent comments of your site.
5. Greg’s Comment Length Limiter – It provides limit on the length of your site comments left in the comment form, length is configurable. It provides a character countdown displayed for the commenter and it get dynamically updated with each keypress. Also try Greg’s Threaded Comment Numbering plugin, it numbers comments sequentially and hierarchically.