Recently WordPress.Org made a beta release of WordPress 3.6. The software is still in development and its recommended not to run it on a production website, you can check its new features and look locally on your computer or somewhere else. For testing WordPress 3.6, try the WordPress Beta Tester plugin (you will want “bleeding edge nightlies”). or you can download its beta .zip file here.
What’s new in WordPress 3.6:
- Twenty Thirteen: We’re shipping this year’s default theme in our first release of the year. Twenty Thirteen is an opinionated, color-rich, blog-centric theme that makes full use of the new Post Formats support.
- Post Formats: Post Formats now have their own UI, and theme authors have access to templating functions to access the structured data.
- Audio/Video: You can embed audio and video files into your posts without relying on a plugin or a third party media hosting service.
- Autosave: Posts are now autosaved locally. If your browser crashes, your computer dies, or the server goes offline as you’re saving, you won’t lose the your post.
- Post Locking: See when someone is currently editing a post, and kick them out of it if they fall asleep at the keyboard.
- Nav Menus: Nav menus have been simplified with an accordion-based UI, and a separate tab for bulk-assigning menus to locations.
- Revisions: The all-new revisions UI features avatars, a slider that “scrubs” through history, and two-slider range comparisons.