This lesson guides you on how you can convert any default or custom taxonomy into another taxonomy on your WordPress Website.
Taxonomy is the term used to refer to categories, tags, and other custom taxonomies that may be present within your active theme or plugin or you have created it manually. This lesson guides you on how you can easily convert one taxonomy into another in your WordPress Website.
Term Taxonomy Converter allows you to copy i.e. duplicate or convert or move terms between the taxonomies. Copying a taxonomy means duplicating it to another without deleting or moving the original taxonomy. Whereas converting the taxonomy means, changing it to another taxonomy. This can be done between two or multiple taxonomies while maintaining associated posts.
To convert or copy a taxonomy you simply need to follow these steps:
- Navigate to Plugins -> Add New page
- Search and install the ‘Term Taxonomy Converter’ plugin
- After activation visit Tools -> Term Taxonomy Converter page
- You will see various tabs for Tags, Categories, and Custom Taxonomies
- Switch to the taxonomy tab you like to convert
- Choose Copy or Convert option
- Select the taxonomies you want to convert
- Use the checkbox to tick the ‘Taxonomy’ in which you want the selected taxonomies to be converted to
- Click the ‘Go’ button
Since this plugin collectively works for all tags, categories, and custom taxonomies, you don’t need any other plugin separately for converting default taxonomies such as tags and categories in WordPress. In case if you only want to convert tags and categories then follow this lesson.