Now you can customize and control permalinks structure and .htaccess file direct from your WordPress admin areadashboard. WP htaccess Control should really be called as htacess and Rewrite Control plugin. The plugin provides you an easy interface for customizing htaccess file generated by WordPress and also its permalinks structure of author, category, archives, pagination and custom taxonomies.
After you install and activate WP htaccess Control plugin, visit Dashboard -> Settings ->htaccess Control page. Now here is a big options page divided in many sections that full fills your customization needs easily. Following is the list of important configuration settings your can set from this plugin’s options page:
- You can customize htaccess file generated by WordPress;
- You can remove any custom taxonomy’s slug base from permalinks;
- You can remove category base from permalinks;
- You can removing author base from permalinks;
- You can customize Author Permalink Base;
- You can customize Paginated Permalinks (translate “page” word on permalinks to your own language);
- You can customize (and canonization) of the Search Permalink Base;
- You can do Creation of Category, Author, Tag and Custom Taxonomy based archives (ex:“http://your-site.com/category/stories/2010/12″, “http://your-site.com/author/admin/2010/12/page/2″ and “http://your-site.com/tag/wordpress/2010/12″), this will also work if you’ve removed the base slug;
- You can activate Maintenance Mode;
- You can do wp-login.php redirection.
Other than this you can add htaccess rules, following are some easiest and suggested rules given on this plugin’s page:
- Set 403 error page;
- Set 500 error page;
- Jim Morgan’s htaccess;
- Use mod_gzip if available;
- Disable directory browsing;
- Use mod_deflate if available;
- Limit maximum file upload size;
- Protect .htaccess file from access;
- Disable and redirect file hotlinking;
- Disable and redirect image hotlinking;
- Protect wp-config.php file from access;
- Force canonical url (WWW or non-WWW);
- Set admin email on server generated error pages;
- Disable ServerSignature on server generated error pages.
- Protect comments.php from spam bots coming from nowhere.